Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Kryptonite

We've all got it, right? That thing you think leads to your downfall?

For some it's chocolate, for others it's donuts. For some it's chocolate donuts.

I don't have a lot of those. I don't drink soda. I don't really go for sweet stuff. Most foods I really crave are fried or some form of meat, and those aren't just things you grab in a bag and plop down on the couch with. They actually require a little preparation, so my laziness usually overcomes my craving and I do okay (Let's hear it for weight loss through laziness!).

But for some reason, I can't keep my hands out of the cereal boxes.

When I'm frustrated, bored, deep in thought, or aggravated, I tend to wander. And let me tell you, in a two bedroom apartment, wandering doesn't get you far.

For some reason, if I'm not thinking about it, I can't seem to wander through the kitchen without grabbing a handful of breakfast cereal.

We're not talking Kashi here. No, way. I've got kids. This is real breakfast cereal. I think the last handful I grabbed was Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Crisp. Yeah, I guess I was the Cookie Crook.

And yeah, you read that right. By the handful. I just stick my big fat hand in the box and yank out a handful of starch and sugar the same way I'm sure my caveman ancestors pulled the Frosted Sugarcane Yak Back cereal they fed their kids out of the box.

(This was before they started putting milk on breakfast cereal. You ever try to milk a wild Yak? I'd rather kill one any day.)

So yeah. That's a big part of my downfall. Handfuls of kid's breakfast cereal I don't even really remember eating, but was just looking for something to do while I thought about something else.

Maybe I should take up knitting.

Then I could make myself a cool black Cookie Crook sweater.

No comments: