Monday, January 02, 2006

Turnaround Man: Year Two

So among the things I'm doing differently this year:

In addition to tracking things online, I'm using an exercise/food journal. Basically, I picked up a small weekly calendar at a dollar store and am tracking my exercise and eating each day in it. Also, since I only weigh myself and measure myself once a week, it becomes the perfect place to store that weekly number.

There are places online that will track that kind of stuff for you--Fitday.com is one, and nearly every weight loss website has some kind of cool graphical representation of the blogger's weight loss. If you see one of those you like you can just click on it. I do like fitday's, though, because of how thorough you can be in tracking even the percentage of your nutritional requirements.

Also, I'm using checklists. I really like checklists. There's a great feeling that comes from checking this off on a list. Even better is crossing things off.

Actually, you know what's best of all? When I used to manage my own store, I made my to-do list a .txt file on the computer. Each morning I would open the file and leave it on my desktop all day. As I would finish each thing, I would delete it. By the end of the day, the window was clean and I knew I was done. Then I'd close it without saving it and it would be ready for the next day.

Since I'm using a written list, I don't get to do that. But I do block out the squares completely instead of just putting a wimpy little check. It just feels more "done" to me when I do it that way.

Alright, I've got to go block out the "blog" square now.

No comments: