Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Biggest Loser

So when I was talking with my doctor about the whole Viral Meningitis thing, we got talking about weight loss. My other doctor, who went into private practice just a couple of days after he saw me, mentioned that the doctor who he was referring me to did physical therapy and sports medicine stuff.

So I took advantage of the appointment to see if this guy and I were on the same page. I didn't tell him anything, I just asked questions, as if I didn't know boo, to see if I liked his answers. I did.

At one point, he talked about the TV show The Biggest Loser. He said his favorite thing about it was the way it showed that losing weight is hard. You don't just skip lunch every day and wind up skinny. You get determined. You work. You don't just do a little bit of stuff and hope it happens. You decide you're going to do it and then you make it happen.

The tale of the tape is now updated. I weigh 250. That's 12 pounds lighter than my starting weight last year, but it's up almost 20 pounds from my lowest point last year.

The measurements are updated, too. They're opposite last year--last year, my chest was 47.5 and my waist was 48.5.

I also added biceps--not because I think it has any significance, but because I'm a guy, and we guys just have some weird obsession with biceps.

Watching The Biggest Loser tonight, watching those two families work off between 50 and 90 pounds per person in five months, I was reassured that such weight loss is possible and advisable. I was also reminded that it takes, like my doctor said, dedication and hard work.

Last year, I had it. I was on track. I'd lost four inches off my waist. I was headed there. Then, life happened.

This year, I'm happening to life.

I have two milestones I'm shooting for this year. The first is, like last year, to be down to 220 by my birthday at mid-year. This year, I have a 12 pound head start. Then, the next goal is under 200 by the end of the year.

50 pounds in 50 weeks.

This year, it's happening.

Stay tuned.

No comments: