Monday, January 31, 2005

Unexpected Expenses

Well, 1/3 of the $300 is now officially spoken for.

I walked out to my car yesterday morning to find my car window had been smashed in.

Again.

This time it was the driver's side. "Daddy's window," as my girls call it. It was still near enough to last time that I hadn't gotten out of the habit of emptying the car when I got out, so they got nothing.

Okay, maybe they got something--I didn't actually count the hot sauce packets in the glove box--but they didn't get anything of note.

A year ago, I don't know what I would have done in this scenario. With rent taking nearly every dollar of tommorrow's paycheck, I'd probably have tacked another chunk of change on one of the credit cards, which I may have just paid down to under the limit. Once the interest hit, I'd have been over my limit, and they'd have hit me with over limit fees. Then I'd pay it down in February until that monthly expense came up.

As it is, I'm glad I had the money there.

But I'll tell you--this is going to be a long year if every time I get a little ahead somebody breaks something.

No comments: